Family Historian, Author, and Presenter
Bill Cole’s passion for genealogy and family history began at an early age. Born on his grandfather Cole’s 78th birthday, he has vigorously pursued his family history since 1980. His genealogy exploits include being the first person to document the English ancestors of his immigrant eighth great grandparents and added more generations into the late 15th Century. He has uncovered ancestors born at sea, a shipwrecked rogue who survived Jamestown, two Mayflower ancestors, multiple Revolutionary War patriots on both sides, and other fascinating characters – including one involved in a California stagecoach robbery.
Bill is a member of the Mayflower Society, New England Historic Genealogical Society, National Genealogy Society, California Genealogical Society, Downey Historical Society, Santa Clara County Historical and Genealogical Society, Surry County Genealogical Society, and the Sacramento German Genealogical Society where he served six years as vice president. He also co-chaired the International German Genealogy Conferences held in Minneapolis in 2017 and in Sacramento in 2019. In business, Bill Cole is an internationally respected trainer, keynote speaker and executive coach. His presentations have taken him to North, Central, and South America, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, and England.
- The English Origins of Job, John, Daniel, and Ruth Cole – this article was first published in Mayflower Descendant, Vol 69 Winter Journal 2021
- Jane Clarke: A Strong Woman. The English Origins of William Collier’s Wife – this article was first published in Mayflower Descendant, Vol 69 Winter Journal 2021
- Who is Sarah Walker? New Findings of the Wife of Plymouth Colony’s Nathaniel Warren – this article was first published in Mayflower Descendant, Vol 71 Winter Journal 2023
- Bullion Bend – this article was first published by Santa Clara County Historical & Genealogical Society (CA), 2018
- PC Hodges – this article was first published by Surry County Genealogical Association (NC), 2003 – newly updated COMING SOON
- The ABC Formula: Building Your Life’s Enduring Core Values – available at www.passionategenealogist.org as a pdf download
- Bullion Bend: Confederate Stagecoach Robbers, Murder Trials, and the California Supreme Court – Oh My! – available at www.passionategenealogist.org in softcover and a few limited edition hardcovers are still available
- Puritans, Plagues, and Promises: Cole, Clarke, and Collier in England and America – available May 2023
Presentations – Virtual or In Person
- A Grave Mistake? The English Origins of Old Comer Thomas Clarke – FIRST TIME EVER on Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at Pilgrim Hall Museum, Plymouth, Massachusetts
- All Ancestors Great and Small: Researching England’s Records to Discover Genealogical Gems in Underutilized Treasure Troves: (2-4 sessions in half or full day)
- Breathe Life into Your Genealogy with the Power of Story
- Breathe More Life into Your Genealogy with Storytelling Tips & Writing Techniques
- Bullion Bend: Confederate Stagecoach Robbers, Murder Trials, and the California Supreme Court – Oh My!
- Discover Genealogical Gems in the California State Archives and Library
- Do’s and Don’ts of Collaborative Genealogy Projects
- Make Sense Out of the U.S. Census 1: 1900-1950 Fact or Fiction?
- Make More Sense Out of the U.S. Census 2: 1850-1890
- Make the Most Sense Out of the U.S. Census 3: 1790-1840
- Move Beyond U.S. Census Records: Overcoming Obstacles and Brick Walls
Presentations & Articles in Development (Working Titles)
- A Mayflower Adventurer from the Beginning: William Collier. A significant contributor to Plymouth Colony’s survival and success
- A Winning Formula for Writing Short Genealogy Stories
- An Amazing Ancestor: Stephen Hopkins: Shipwrecked, Jamestown Survivor, and Mayflower Passenger
- Welcome to California! An Emigrant’s 1852 Wagon Train Journey
- Canadian Census Records: Documenting Your Family’s Journey